Thursday, December 18, 2008

Beware of Restaurant.com

Today, a random charge showed up on my credit card for $14.95 from Shopping Essentials. Being that it's Christmas season, I was wondering if maybe my husband picked something up without me knowing. I googled the name & phone number, found all sorts of warnings, and decided to call the 888 number that was included in the charge (that's always a red flag - very few legitimate companies include a phone number in their charges).

So I called and asked for my money back, as well as cancelling whatever service I had been signed up for. When I pressed the person on the phone, I found out they got my name from Restaurant.com. WHAT??? I bought some gift certificates about 2 months ago and somehow they signed me up for some additional service from Shopping Essentials.

Just wanted to give you guys a head up on this! Buyer Beware. I am not happy with Restaurant.com right now and will probably never buy anything from them again.

2 comments:

  1. WOW! Thanks for the warning, I was thinking about using them too. Cross that idea of my "to-do" list!
    Glad you got it taken care of. Do restuarants even honor those restaurant.com gift certs?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't yet used one of the certificates, but I've heard they work fine.

    ReplyDelete